This post may contain affiliate links which means when you click on a link and then purchase any item on that site, there is no additional cost to you but I receive a small commission. Thank you for your support.
Stress management techniques are crucial to your overall health and wellness. Read this post for three easy stress-busting methods you can implement today.
Unmanaged stress plays a role in the development and exacerbation of a wide range of physical and psychological health problems. I have personally witnessed how stress affects my health, increased stress means a flare-up of my autoimmune system. Having quick and easy tools in my stress-busting belt means better physical and mental health. Practicing methods to alleviate stress lowers your heart rate, blood pressure, and stress hormone activity. A reduced amount of stress helps maintain blood sugar levels and improves digestion. Many stress relieving techniques will also reduce muscle tension and pain. Give them a try, what have you got to lose?
Stress Buster #1: Deep Breathing
Deep Breathing the yoga way greatly reduces your stress levels and changes your attitude for the better!! Follow the six steps to deep breathing outlined below to experience a positive shift in your mindset.
Your choice, you can sit, stand, lay or find a yoga pose, as long as it’s a comfortable position. Be mindful of maintaining good posture as you breathe.
- Place your hands on your belly just below your belly button.
- Inhale into your belly feeling the skin stretch until full.
- Hold for a second or two, whatever feels best for you.
- As you exhale, relax your shoulders and feel your belly pull inwards.
- Repeat! Repeat! Repeat often!!
Take three deep breaths when you wake up in the morning to start your day off on a positive note. Repeat this technique as often as you like throughout your day to lower your stress level and boost your positive energy. Now, who doesn’t need that?
I find even a few minutes dedicated to a couple full belly breaths provides me with a short reprieve from the hectic schedule or an irksome situation, thus enabling me to manage whatever comes my way in a more positive, and effective manner. Deep breathing is beneficial for your mind and body. There is a full oxygen exchange when you take a deep abdominal breathe meaning a better intake of oxygen and release of more carbon dioxide. The oxygen is infused into your bloodstream nourishing your body, blood and cells which leads to systemic rejuvenation and healing.
This deep breathing method works like magic to relieve stress and change my mood. I hope you find it helpful too because life happens, but we make a choice on how to deal with what comes our way every day.
Stress Buster #2: Take a short walk around your house, office or neighbourhood.
- Even a short period of walking will provide a much-needed break from a stressful day at the office or at home.
- If you are not able to head outside then try taking the stairs.
- Get up for a mini walk break, instead of a coffee break.
- Use the lunchroom or washroom farthest away from your desk to get in extra steps.
- Working from home with kids? You can do this too, bundle up those munchkins and head outside for a walk around the neighbourhood.
When I was a stay at home mom with little children there was nothing better than getting out for some much needed fresh air and exercise! My girls are grown and I wait excitedly for the day I can take my grandchildren for that walk around the block down to the park. Dreaming…..
A wee walk provides a reprieve from your usual posture (whether you sit or stand at work or home) – your body will thank you! Walk breaks add a few more steps to the pedometer too, keep counting and before you know it you will be taking so many steps, it will surprise you! Walking is an excellent exercise to increase your physical activity and positive energy flow making you more productive for the rest of your day.
Stress Buster #3: Listen to Music. Really listen. Or just rock out and play!
- Sit quietly and take the time to listen to the lyrics, really hear them.
- How does the music make you feel, what instruments can you hear?
- Always enjoy the beat!! Go ahead, get silly, play the drums on your table or desk.
- Sway, dance or go crazy, dance and jump to your own beat.
- Listen to music when you do daily chores to boost your mood and keep you motivated.
Whether you prefer country, pop, rock and roll, or any of the oodles of music genres, you are blessed to hear so take the time to relax, hum, sing or bop to your favourite tunes and always smile.
Smiling is a stress buster too! Music is an outlet for releasing pent-up energy, it’s a natural anti-depressant and an excellent way to connect to your creative synergy.
That’s all folks, three stress-busting tips that improve your mood and are good for your soul!
Leave a comment here or pop me an email anytime to let me know which of these stress busters works best for you. Love connecting with you always.
Out for a walk on the beautiful trails at our Mission Greenway here in Kelowna.
Here’s a Pin for Your Pinterest Board!