This post may contain affiliate links which means when you click on a link and then purchase any item on that site, there is no additional cost to you but I receive a small commission. Thank you for your support.
What is a perfectly styled shelf? What gives a shelf the interior decorator designed style? Do you ever wonder why some shelves really make you stop and take a look, while others are flying under the radar?
Whether your style is farmhouse, minimal, modern, or rich and dark, these 5 items will enhance, balance, and ensure you create a perfectly styled shelf.
1) First of all, use something natural or organic. Often, this takes the form of a plant or flower, but can also be a simple decor item with touches of wood or rope.
Adorable Wooden Sign or a jar with rope
Flowers or a Plant
2) Use something vertical. These are the items we tend to add to shelves without giving them a second thought. Vertical items are generally abundant and easy to find in our homes. Photos, framed prints, candlesticks, vases, and books are in this category. Make sure the item is taller than it is wide, and you have this one covered!
Framed print, this one is a creation by my friend Shelia Joy, her blog is ‘In Search of Sheila.’
I love decorating with framed quotes because they are an easy to swap out and add something fresh to my shelf without spending a lot of money,
Candlesticks, vases, and bottles. (Vertical decor)
I am infatuated with this green bottle from Wayfair.ca, you can check out their selection of glass vases >> here .
3) Use something that shines, glows or is glossy. Anything that catches the light. All three items in my picture above fit in this category! The flower and metal candlestick on the left definitely glows (when lit), the teal bottle on the right catches the light, and the silver bottle sparkles!
Pink glitzy vase and glowing tea light holder.
4) Add something horizontal. Be sure to add horizontal lines to your shelf in the form of a tray, a decorative box, a word sign, or stacked books, just to name a few. Let me know your ideas for any of these key item categories to a perfectly styled shelf in the comments below the post.
So cute, ♥ love the writing on the top and sides of this box!
Use that wooden tray your hubby brings you coffee in bed on, it is a perfect horizontal item for your shelf. Say what? Oh right, I was dreaming again. No breakie in bed lately, he is golfing and I am blogging. Go ahead, find that unused tray, and wipe the dust off. It has to be good for something right. Alternatively, try some decorative books like the ones pictured below from wayfair.com or simply add paper covers in your choice of color to a couple of your own books.
5) Finally, add something unique. Use something that is a geometric shape, or out of the ordinary. This item often says a lot about your personality or individual style. Furthermore, this item might be that one piece of art or decor that can stand alone on a shelf, and really give it that ‘WOW’ factor.
This hourglass is unique and glitzy while also adding an additional horizontal object to any shelf.
The white, geometric star thingy, (highly technical term) on the left is my unique item on this shelf. You can purchase this item from Pottery Barn, the link is in the Shop4You list below.
So there you have it. The next time you want to perfectly style your shelf, remember to utilize this list to ensure you have items in each category before you start. Get your items ready and come back soon for my easy guide to shelf styling!
Need help decorating? Get your free tips with a click on the image below!
Want inspiration to style your shelf? You are in luck, click on the blue Shop4You links below to check out these Perfectly Styled Shelf items I adore.
Smiles from Lisagirl xo
Unique or interesting.
Unique or different, geometric.
Natural or Organic
Horizontal and super sweet.
Sparkly, and glitzy